my liFe stoRy

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Change. Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes for the worse. My friends know I am sometimes a little apprehensive when there's change, depending on what the change is. Recently, I kind of changed my perspective. As long as it is a good change, I have no doubt whatsoever about accepting it. I guess that's a good change for me.
People either dislike change and fear change. But if change is not there, how would we embrace improvements? You must be thinking why I've suddenly decided to embrace all the good changes that come along my way. There's a reason behind it. Recently, there have been several terror attacks in Mumbai and Pakistan, anti-government protests in Thailand and some other seemingly insignificant happenings in other parts of the world. If there is no change to these situations, what is the world going to become? I support what president elect, Obama mentioned about that we need change. If there's no changes for the better, the world may descend into a cloud of misery and gloom which would probably be there for many years to come. When no one is willing to take the first step to change something undesirable, the situation will definitely worsen.
It came very suddenly. When all these "scary" events happened one after the other likened to how bowling pins fall one after the other, it occurred to me that I have to be accepting about change, of course when it is for the better.
Another issue which I thought is very alarming. Social Responsibility. For the past few weeks, as I was on the MRT trains, in buses or even in shopping centres, I realised the self-centredness of people. We want to label ourselves as a first world country and yet many a time irresponsibility kicks in and render us worse off than third world countries. Don't a frail old lady in a crowded mrt deserve a seat? Why do people throw their disposable cups along the roads and east coast park after the recent Standard Chartered run? It really saddens me that these actions are carried out probably without thinking, just because it is at the convenience of these people. If you cough or sneeze, what's the problem with just using a hand to cover your mouth? Isn't it the normal thing to do? This is seriously something which I believe no matter how hard the government tries to promote, it still boils down one's own civic mindedness and social responsibility. You really cannot blame the government because they've tried their best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home