my liFe stoRy

Monday, October 04, 2010

On saturday, 2nd October 2010, one day many Singaporeans would remember for the many many years to come. I received my biggest shock of the year, roughly a little more than a year after I was badly hit by my grandma's passing. This time, it's Madam Kwa Geok Choo's( Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's wife) passing. In fact, it was in the MRT when I received the news officially. At that moment, I felt everything around me blur and I would say I was in quite a state of shock. Almost burst out into tears but I held back a little, just tearing, because I was on public transport.

I felt a sense of loss. You might think, "Hey, she's not related to you in blood, why do you care so much?" "Why are you so affected? She's not even your grandmother." and many other statements I overheard people say. My most vivid memory of Mdm Kwa was during the Sentosa Flowers in 2008. Then, I was working as an event host at Sentosa during the annual Lunar New Year floral displays. One of the days, which was my most memorable, MM Lee and Mrs Lee came to visit. Accompanied by many bodyguards, they toured the whole exhibition. When they passed my exhibit, both Mr and Mrs Lee smiled at me. And I particularly remember the warm smile of Mrs Lee, one of much sincerity and zest even though she had to go around in a wheelchair.

To me, she's one of my most respected and loved female figures in the political arena. Although not directly involved in politics itself, she's been playing an important role since Singapore's tough times in the past. If not for her, I would dare say that women in Singapore may not be as equalized to men as they are now. What would it be like if she didn't agree to doing the broadcast that time? What if she wasn't by MM Lee's side, showing undying love and support throughout the years? Would Singapore be the same? I would say a definite no. I do not mean that MM Lee wouldn't be as competent. I strongly believe that MM Lee is by far the most competent political figure in Singapore and has been a crucial figure in building Singapore up from ruins after the dreaded war. However, at the same time, I believe that it is Mrs Lee who played an "invisible" role, away from the public in her little actions, working side by side, helping MM Lee. Me, being one who is a strong believer of equality of males and females, is inspired by Mrs Lee.

Not forgetting, for many years now, I've always thought of Mr and Mrs Lee as one of the best couples ever. They're really a role model couple, one whose longlasting love, wit and humor really captivates me.

Today, while I was at the Istana, I had to hold back my tears strongly. Didn't want to break down so badly, especially when so many reporters were there. I managed to get a short glance of her from a short distance away from the coffin. Bowed in respect and love for Singapore's mother. Mrs Lee, we will always love you and you, will always remain in our hearts.



Later in the night, as Channel NewsAsia reported about MM Lee at the Istana, as they showed the video of him looking on with immeasurable sadness at the photo and the coffin, I totally broke down. Tears just flowed uncontrollably. It was so heartwrenching. :(
My dear MM, do hang in there! Remember, you have our support and love no matter what.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home